SputnikNet version 3.4.4 is a major update, designed for maximum compatibility and performance with the latest version of SputnikNet (October 2012). New features and enhancements include:
Improved Sputnik Agent Communications
- Faster Sputnik Agent to SputnikNet communications using updated zlib compression library
- More robust synchronization of router settings (NVRAM values) with SputnikNet
- New API for improved performance when propagating changes to routers for per-user bandwidth shaping, router bandwidth QoS, radio settings, radio scheduling, timezone/ntp settings, SSH/telnet/HTTP settings, DHS/DHCP/DNSMasq settings, SPI firewall, ttraf, UPnP and reset button
- Network interface and router load average data reported every minute to SputnikNet
- Support for new router performance graphs (MANAGE > Routers > Graphs > Performance)
- Uplink IP address reported every minute (instead of probed from SputnikNet every hour)
- Switching Agent mode changes now happen immediately (instead of after two minutes)
- Sputnik-powered firmware upgraded to DD-WRT version 17027M, which includes fixes to Rflow, Glib, IPRoute2 and IPtables
- Revised Sputnik Agent error and status messages in DD-WRT interface for easier troubleshooting
- New Sputnik defaults added:
- ttraff off by default - improves router performance
- upnp off by default - improves router security and performance in low memory conditions
Support for New Routers
- Web-flash support for Cisco E2500 router
Sputnik-Powered DD-WRT firmware with Sputnik Agent version 3.4.0 is a major update. New features and enhancements include:
- Updated Linux kernel and libraries
- Better support for 802.11n Wi-Fi drivers
- Bandwidth accounting bug fixed
- Support for per user bandwidth settings
- Support for USB 3G modem (currently Sprint 250U; more to come)
- Support for USB caching
- DHCP lease optimization for hotspots (100 DHCP leases, 3 hour expiration by default)
- Wi-Fi power set at 100 mW by default
- Sputnik-default firmware for new hardware platforms, including: Cisco E1000, E2000, E3000, E3200, E4200; Asus RT-N16, Sputnik 750 Gateway
- One-step Web flash upgrade from vendor firmware
- PoE support for models listed above
Sputnik Agent firmware version 22.214.171.124 new features and enhancements include:
- Wireless client isolation is now enabled by default.
- Transmit power for selected models can be set above 400 mW (note: Power-over-Ethernet injector is required for power settings above 99 mW).
- Wireless Beacon is set to 200 by default to decrease overhead on APs with many connections.
- Wireless Channel is set to AUTO by default.
- Enhanced stability of Sputnik Agent running in NMS mode (for managed range extenders).
- Support for wireless scheduling (turn wireless signal on/off at certain times of day)
Sputnik Agent firmware version 126.96.36.199.2 new features and enhancements include:
- Default transmit power changed from 71 Mw to 99 Mw
- Default wireless channel changed from 6 to "Auto" (device will detect channel with least interference)
- Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) enabled by default
- IPv6 support enabled by default
- Enhanced stability when used as a Sputnik Agent NMS repeater (managed range extender)
- Rapid SputnikNet provisioning
- Sputnik Agent firmware version displayed in DD-WRT web user interface
- New Broadcom CFE binaries included (version 1.4.2)
- Support for new hardware, including:
- Cisco E1000
SputnikNet version 188.8.131.52 new features and enhancements include:
- Enhanced user bandwidth shaping: you can specify a bandwidth cap (maximum) that is applied to all users on the network, preventing bandwidth hogs. Please note: this feature requires the use of Sputnik Agent firmware version 184.108.40.206.1.
- Performance improvements: generally faster captive portal load times.
- Update to PayPal Authentication System that prevents users from creating invalid PayPal passwords.
Sputnik Agent Firmware version 220.127.116.11.1 new features and enhancements include:
- Support for enhanced user bandwidth shaping in SputnikNet (see above).
- Support for new hardware, including:
- Buffalo WHR-G125 (standard and enhanced)
- Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
- Cisco e2000
- Cisco e3000
- D-Link DIR-615 WIRELESS N 300 ROUTER
- Deliberant AP 2i*
- Deliberant CPE 2*
- EnGenius EAP-3660*
- EnGenius ECB3500*
- EnGenius EOC1650*
- EnGenius EOC-2610*
- Linksys WRT160N
- Linksys WRT320N
- Linksys WRT54G (Serial numbers CDF0-CDFA)
- Linksys WRT54GS (Serial numbers CGN0-CGN5, CGN6*)
- Linksys WRT54GL
- Linksys WRT610N
- Netgear WGR614L
- Netgear WNDR3300
- Netgear WNR3500L
- Netgear WRG614L
- Sputnik 700
- Sputnik 720
- Sputnik 730
- Ubiquiti Bullet 2HP*
- Ubiquiti Bullet M2HP*
- Ubiquiti NanoStation 2*
- Ubiquiti NanoStation M2*
- Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2*
- Ubiquiti PicoStation 2HP*
- Ubiquiti PicoStation M2HP*
- Ubiquiti PowerStation 2*
- Improved provisioning: Sputnik Agent launch is delayed until WAN interface is available.
While Sputnik Agent Firmware version 18.104.22.168 is not required for SputnikNet 22.214.171.124, we recommend that customers upgrade their routers to the latest firmware.
For customers running Sputnik Control Center:
To upgrade to Sputnik Control Center 126.96.36.199, first upgrade to 188.8.131.52 as described in the 184.108.40.206 change log; then follow these upgrade instructions.
Important: if you are running Sputnik Control Center on White Box Enterprise Linux (WBEL), we strongly recommend that you upgrade to CentOS 4.7 before installing this release.
- Syncs up all supported platforms to the latest Sputnik Agent version
- Integration with DD-WRT v24 (starting with RC 6)
- Fixed bug that could cause a crash after hard reset
- SputnikNet Express enabled firmware allows the server to set (override) the local web UI password of the AP
- Factory default firmware to use Sputnik Instant Setup (SIS) server
- Activate packet filter code that SCC now supports
- Undo config file writing code changes of version 220.127.116.11 that occasionally led to the reboot brick problem
- Updates to support SputnikNet version 18.104.22.168
- Various bug fixes
- Major improvement to handle binary data passed during login redirect to captive portal
- Resolved Sputnik AP 160 failure to redirect to Sputnik Control Center bug that sometimes occurred with strange URL requests